Browne’s Hospital & Museum
Attractions | Historic | Stamford
The Hospital or almshouse was founded by William Browne, a rich wool merchant of Stamford, and built in 1475. The Hospital or Bedehouse - a name by which it was also known - was established as a home and a house of prayer for 10 poor men and 2 poor women, with a Warden and a Confrater, both of whom were to be priests. The main rooms that can be visited are the Common Room, the Chapel, the Staircase, the Audit Room and the Confraters' Room which contain original artefacts. The chapel retains important 15th century stained glass of national significance.